Improving Coherence for Tournament Awards

2023-04-22 • 1055 views • 1 replies

I have noticed that there has been repeated changes in multiple award sections due to the discrepancy between statistical leaders and actual awards. For instance, most competitions since 2014-15 haven given out positional awards and do not award statistical leaders, which does not lead to such conflicts. However, before that it has been the case where players were awarded; for example, a player were given “best server” when they did not have the highest service aces, and so on.

One example is the 2013-14 Turkish league: 

official awards at the announced by Turkish Volleyball Federation

• Best Scorer - Yeon Koung Kim
  • Best Spiker - Yeon Koung Kim
  • Best Server - Bahar Toksoy
  • Best Blocker - Eda Erdem
  • Best Receiver - Gözde Sonsırma
  • Best Setter - Naz Aydemir
  • Best Libero - Merve Dalbeler,

statistical awards on the dataproject website:

• Best Scorer - Yeon Koung Kim
  • Best Spiker - Maja Poljack
  • Best Server - Ceren Baysal
  • Best Blocker - Dicle Nur Babat
  • Best Receiver - Songul Gursoytrak
  • Best Setter - Elif Oner
  • Best Libero - Ceren Onal

I think that if certain awards were officially given out, then those should be taken precedence than statistical leaders. But because not everyone can know which awards are ‘official’ and hence can come later and edit them again thinking they're wrong, I recommend that there be a function where official awards are labeled, like a box that is displayed below the players names.

avid 102 8
11 months ago
+1

Awards are a mess on here. 

I would like to clarify that “dream teams” from dataproject sites are not dream teams and should not be added. 

There are awards “Best spiker”, “best scorer”, etc for the statistical awards, which can be gathered from the stats website.

If “best outside hitter”, “best opposite”, etc are not awarded by the competition, they should not be added. The dataproject site uses algorithms and does not reflect the competition. Like for the 22/23 turkish cup, the website says the Bolu setter was the best setter, which we know is not the case for the tournament. 

Translate VolleyboxWould you like to help the project?Translate VolleyboxTranslate Volleybox
Would you like to help the project?Translate Volleybox