[Fixed] Partnership start/end dates in Beach Volleybox

John Doe 129
+2
2020-06-06 • 2657 views • 6 replies

In Beach Volleybox, unlike in Men/Women, there is no edit option once the partnership is entered. For example, I formed Ekaterina Syrtseva/Alexandra Moiseeva partnership for 2011-2014 and 2016-still according to FIVB database. Although they hadn't played together in FIVB tournaments in 2015 season, they continued to play together in their National Tour. So in order to add the team on Russian Championship 2015, which they won by the way, I had to add 2014-2015 season to their partner section. Now it seems as 3 different periods instead of 1 simple 2011-still.

Also, sometimes the start/end years can be wrong like in Heather Bansley/Brandie Wilkerson. The partnership start is given as 2017 but they played in the 2016 World Tour Finals together and when I added that tournament to database I had to add another partnership between them instead of just fixing the start date 2017 to 2016. Now in Wilkerson's page there is two partnership with Bansley, one is 2016-still and one is 2017-still.

To sum up, there should be a partnership edit button in Beach Volleybox.

#beachvolleyball

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

There is the rest of your suggestions from the chat. I will paste them here and I will consider all of them in free time (maybe next week):

About Beach Volleybox there are couple of issues that I want to point out.

1) There should be a separate World Tour Finals tournament which consists of its editions. In the database, 2019 World Tour Finals is available under the name of 2019 Rome Grand Slam and it seems as one of the editions of Rome Grand Slam. Also, although the database is lack of tournaments, there is another World Tour Finals tournament under the name of 2015 Fort Lauderdale Grand Slam and that tournament belongs to the Fort Lauderdale Grand Slam editions. I think that putting World Tour finals on a same and separate tournament line (like European and World Championships), will be much more accurate, simpler and tidier than this complicated situation.

2) All of the 2019 World Tour tournaments are given as a coefficient rank of 7.00 which is quite absurd. The 1-star event in Budapest where top 50 teams don’t bother to compete for example has exactly same value to the 5-star major event. The difference between those tournaments are similar to the difference between Grand Slams and challengers in tennis. Also coefficient rank of previous years’ World Tour tournaments (2017 etc.) are lesser than their 2019 counterparts. For example 2017 Fort Lauderdale Major (a 5-star event) has a rank of 5.00 which is smaller than even a 1-star 2019 tournament.

https://beach.volleybox.net/men-world-tour-fort-lauderdale-major-2017-o3843

https://beach.volleybox.net/women-world-tour-budapest-2019-o9853

@Sherlock I wanted to add at least the major tournaments for previous years but as I understand from the 2019 tournaments that 5-star major tournaments (Vienna 2019 etc.) are given as a “grand slam” in the database. Grand Slam is a type of tournament that existed in the past but does not exist now. I got confused whether name the tournament as "Major" or "Grand Slam" (consistency is important), hence I haven't add any World Tour events. And also it would be good to be able to select "stars" (5, 4 etc.) while we're adding the tournament.

@Sherlock I think calling the tournaments with their original name is fine, what I say is like the adder of the tournament should be able to select "what-star tournament" the tournament is, in the below window while he was adding the tournament. The "star" information can be given in the "tournament data" section.

@Sherlock Also, what I meant about consistency is that all "Majors" should be called as the same way whether is "Major" or "Grand Slam". I am not really a fan of calling same of them "Grand Slam" and some of them "Major". If Vienna 2019 named as "Vienna Grand Slam 2019", so should others; if it's Vienna Major 2019, then all of them should be Majors. That's all. By the way in couple of years like 2016, there are both "Grand Slam" and "Major" tournaments. So, in my opinion "grand slams" be grand slams and "majors" be majors. Thanks for all your efforts.

Thank you for all suggestions. I saw a lot of data added by you in Beach Volleybox. Thank you for your effort in making this website better.

John DoeAuthor 129 24
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox Also I want to make a small addition to ranking point issue. The level of tournaments can vary from season to season (i.e. Porec, is a major event until 2017 and it became a 1-star event in 2018) It seems in current status, when we add a new edition of the tournament, the same coefficient ranking value are assigned automatically. That's also one of the reasons that I suggest a "star" option in the "new tournament edition" window.

I think that's all now. Thanks.

S…k 717 16
3 years ago
+1

Thanks @pedeshtrian for everything you're doing on the beach volleybox section, it really needed it. By the way, until the modifications are made, if there is something to modify that you can't do, don't hesitate to tell me by message, it is very fast to do.

John DoeAuthor 129 24
3 years ago
+1

Thanks @Sherlock, that will help.

John DoeAuthor 129 24
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox Although we can edit the partnerships now, there is still a weird bug in Beach Volleybox. I hope I can explain myself clearly here because this will be quite long.

First of all, there is one clear difference between the adding partnerships in Beach Volleybox and adding clubs in Men/Women Volleybox. Let's assume a player who have played for "Club A" for 2015/16 and 2017/18 seasons. In indoor volleybox, if you add "Club A" to that player's clubs for 2016/17 season, then the information in his club profile became "Club A 2015/16-2017/18" like it should be. You can also remove one and edit the other's start/end dates and you're still absolutely fine. BUT in Beach Volleybox things are little bit different. If a partnership between two player has already established for let's say 2016 and 2018 seasons separately, then if you find out that they played together as well in 2017 season, you have to add another partnership for 2017 in order to be able to put them in a 2017 tournament.

Here is the problem: When you add 2017, the partnership will not automatically become 2016-2018 rather there are 3 different partnerships with same player appears in the page for 3 different seasons. (i.e. 2016-2016, 2017-2017 and 2018-2018 instead of one simple 2016-2018) So you have to remove one partnership (i.e. 2016-2016) and edit the start/end date of the other one in order to change it to 2016-2018. And that's the area things get interesting. When you remove the "2016-2016 partnership" and change "2018-2018" one to "2016-2018", although the partnership still exists in the classifications for 2016 tournaments which they've been already added, the points that those players gain from those tournaments vanish from their ranking points.

I noticed this months ago when I removed the 2011-2016 partnership between Anouk Verge Depre and Isabelle Forrer and changed 2010-2010 partnership to 2010-2016. The next day, after the ranking page was refreshed, Verge-Depre fell out of top 50 and Forrer fell out of top 100. I re-add them in every single tournament that is available in the database in which they participate together between 2011 and 2016 and restored their rankings. Since there were many mistakes in the partnerships' start and end dates in Beach Volleybox in the past, me and @PierreFoucault removed so many partnerships like that for so many players in order to consolidate their "partners" tab. I singlehandedly fix that issue for many players by re-adding them to tournaments but there is no way that I can remember every single change I made in their partners tab and certainly I can not know the changes that other users has done. Moreover, as we continue to add the past tournaments to the database I'm sure we will encounter similar "broken partnerships" which need to merge and same problem will occur once again.

But now, it seems to me that there is a possible solution for the problem thanks to "recently improved" rankings page that shows the details of the players' points. I noticed that for those players who have that partnership issue I mentioned above, the points in the ranking page is different than the points value which is shown in the details window. I give you the following example:

Earlier, the partnership between Heather Bansley and Brandie Wilkerson was set to "2017-still". Then, when I added the 2016 World Tour Finals tournament into database, I had to establish another partnership between them as I had already mentioned it in the first post of this topic (this was before the partnerships become editable, for "regular" users at least). Now as you can see from the images above, after merging this two partnerships by removing one of them and editing the other, the combined 30.10 points they gained from the tournaments are missing in both of them's ranking points but it's still available in the details window. So if we somehow can change the ranking points and make it equal to the points value that is shown in the details window, whole thing can be solved.

Also for the future I suggest the following: If there are separate partnerships with same player for let's say for 2012-2013 & 2015-2016 seasons and some user add another 2014-2014 partnership between them, then the partnership should become 2012-2016 and we will not struggle with this problem anymore.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+2

@pedeshtrian problems reported in your post have been already fixed:

• Three partnerships with years range 2012-2013, 2014-2014 & 2015-2016 will be merged automatically into the one: 2012-2016 now (there was 53 such situations in the database already and they have been fixed by a script)
  • differences between ranking points presented in the popup window and in the ranking points on the page have been resolved.
    Of course sometimes there could be still a little differences, because in the popup there are always “fresh” results and points on the page are refreshed only once a day. But you know it ?

Thank you for reporting a problem ??

Temporarily disabled
Create volleyball agency websiteAre you owner of volleyball agency?Create your websiteCreate volleyball agency website
Are you owner of volleyball agency?Create your website