Tips from Gavin Schmitt

2012-06-02 • 5005 views • 6 replies
Gavin says…

Keep your shoulder relaxed when swing. When swinging on a serve or attack people have the tendency to want to tighten up the shoulder and use their muscles to power the ball to the ground. But my Korean coach consistently worked with me on keeping my shoulder more relaxed creating a faster, and more fluent arm swing enabling me to actually hit harder than i could before. The idea is to create your arm into more of a whip than a bat.

Another thing my coach in Korea had me do was not hit balls 100% a lot of people want to hit every ball as hard as they can, but typically 80% is hard enough to score. By doing this i was able to increase the volume of balls i hit hard in a match without tiring myself out. You always have that extra 20% of power if you really need it, but using less really drastically increased how many more balls i could hit if i stopped swinging 100% all the time.

#GavinSchmitt #howtoplayvolleyball

Joachim7 321 4
11 years ago
+4
It's interesting, thank you =)
11 years ago
+4
Wilfredo_is_Marshall what the hell is happening ? Why are your posting interesting topics? Thats not your style.
11 years ago
Interesting indeed. My coach who is also one of Glenn Hoag best friend used to tell me that fact. I like the metaphor of the whip and the bat. Its a good image to explain the technic
Wilfredo_is_MarshallAuthor 4186 20
11 years ago
Your coach knows Glenn Hoag???
11 years ago
Yes. He is one of his best friend. They are approximately the same age. My coach was/is on the volleyball canada staff as a scouter or head coach of the B team. Depends of his schedule. Also Glenn Hoag is really present in the volleyball world here in the province of Quebec. His younger son plays here and sometime we can see Glenn in the stands.
NXT 241 3
11 years ago
As others said below. Wilfredo finally started a topic that is actually interesting ? Good job man, good job ?
Temporarily disabled
Volleyball players rankingWho is the best volleyball player ever?Show players rankingVolleyball players ranking
Who is the best volleyball player ever?Show players ranking