S…k 717
+3
2021-01-03 • 1374 views • 14 replies

There is a big problem with national team squads. This is sometimes a huge mess, with users adding whatever they want, probably to boost their players' rankings. One example, the 2021 Olympics all squads are full even though the tournament will be played in 7 months and we don't know which players will be selected and all teams have 20+ players while only 12 players are allowed at the Olympics. And there are a lot of tournaments like that. Another exemple is (was, I fixed it) 2019 European Championships, where there were sometimes 30+ players instead of 14, and for my country France, there were players who have never even played under the national jersey. Any thought to improve this ?

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago
+1

Can players be added to those rosters without moderation? 

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise players added by moderators are accepted by default, data added by the rest of the users needs moderator's acceptation.

S…kAuthor 717 16
3 years ago

@sitenoise I don't think so, it is like every item on the website. But I remember having cleaned the page something like a month ago and it is already full again and I haven't accepted anything and neither did you seemingly.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago
+1

@Volleybox It's a “bummer” that strange people fill out Olympic rosters with nonsense but it's a “problem” that they get accepted.

I assume, in this case, that theses additions just sit there until a moderator visits the page and sees “such and such waiting for moderation”? There's nowhere else that it would be known that Olympic rosters were waiting to be moderated?

Sources. My kingdom for sources before moderation! ?

S…kAuthor 717 16
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise Also, I don't want to blame anyone obviously but who validated this ? I know it can be really fast to validate the “tournaments” section but you have to be a little attentive. Everyone knows that the Olympics are in August and that we can't know the rosters yet.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago
+2

Japan's roster has three retired players and one who is pregnant ?

S…kAuthor 717 16
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise That is the main problem yes. For European Championships 2019 we had two retired players for France..

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

Many teams formulate their Olympic line-up on the basis of, for example, China many months before the Olympics (today there are probably 200 days to the tournament) appoints a very wide line-up including, for example, 24 players who are grouped in a training camp. There are two ways to select the target line-up: Before the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, China had two national teams (First and Second). The first squad participated in some tournaments and the second squad participated in other tournaments. When setting up the target line-up of 12 players, some came from the first and some from the second. Another way is to eliminate players who have not worked well in the coach's concept. To sum up: I propose that the Olympic teams should include the so-called wide compositions based on a potential representative of a given country (eg number on a tshirt in the form "?"). However, before the tournament itself, when 12-person teams will be selected, these numbers in the form of "?" will be replaced by the numbers on the shirts. ("?" change to number 16) This proposal has the advantage that it gives satisfaction to many very good players, who are often removed from the trip to the Olympic tournament a few weeks before the tournament. (Sorry for my English , it is from Google translate)

S…kAuthor 717 16
3 years ago
+5

@CHN_HRQ_FAN I think I understand what you mean. But for me, rosters should be added when the 12 players are officially selected. To add a list of 24 (or 30 or whatever the number) pre-selected players is almost a fake news. Imagine you are looking for a player and you see he's playing the Olympics, but he is finally removed because he was only part of the pre-selection.

Only the official lists should be added as rosters. For the Olympics, we will probably not be able to add any player before June.

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@Sherlock Ok. I understand. Thank You.

sitenoise 334 9
3 years ago
+2

@CHN_HRQ_FAN We've discussed this “wide roster” vs who “makes the cut” thing a few times. It's not perfect, especially when the 14 (or 12) can shuffle throughout a long tournament, (especially VNL) but it seems the best solution. I believe in VNL's case we might see 18 players on a roster even though each week is limited to 14. In that case some of the ‘stragglers’ get some love, but the ones who never make the 14, don't. 

One thing I suggest is to make a News item, noting the wide roster using #hashtags . That way it will get buried and lost in a barrage of Tweeterbag videos but at least when you visit a certain player's profile you might bump into it and they'll get a little love.

CHN_HRQ_FAN 211 4
3 years ago
+1

@sitenoise You are for me Expert: “(…)they'll get a little love”, yes and  fan recognition, and fan respect. There is a difference in this recognition and the quality of the game (according to the coach's assessment) between a league player, a league player who has been called up to a wide squad, and a player called up to the national team of a given tournament.  Thank You so much.

Volleybox 440
3 years ago
+3

The only improvement I can see here is making removing players easier. Currently removing single player refreshes whole page.

S…kAuthor 717 16
3 years ago
+4

@Volleybox Yes please ! For this specific case il would mean removing 260+ players one by one. And there are other tournaments where it would be very useful.

Predict volleyball scoresAre you looking for volleyball emotions?Predict volleyball scoresPredict volleyball scores
Are you looking for volleyball emotions?Predict volleyball scores